Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolved.

I haven't done resolutions is years.   I pretty much don't want to do them now.... and I'm kinda really not going to.  I don't consider the following my New Year's resolutions... more, my first ever plan for sewing stuff and sustainability.

It's a little scary, the sewing bug has made me (a LOT) fabric obsessed.   I don't like how many more things I have purchased over the past few months compared to before I started sewing. Or the origin of some of those things.  But I can change that. I just have to work pretty hard at it.

I have already signed up for Goodbye Valentino's RTW Fast and I'm going to add to it just a little bit.   So my plans/challenges for 2014 include.

1. I will not purchase any new clothes in 2014. 

2. I will also not purchase any new make-up in 2014.  To be honest I have way to much make-up and I hardly wear any ever.

3. I will not purchase any more fabric to add to my scary hoarders nest for 6 months.  If make it the full 6 months, I will treat myself to a birthday afternoon of fabric shopping in downtown LA before resuming the ban for the rest of the year. The only exceptions are a couple of fabrics that I am awaiting the release of in order to make something for friends. But these are the only exceptions.

4.  All of the above also will sadly include limiting my estate sale and thrift store shopping (otherwise, I'll just use these places as a crutch).

5.  I will have so much fun learning to sew and diving into all the new experiences that await me. Trust me, I have plenty of supplies to get me started and last me through this first full year!

6.  I will look for fun and challenging classes to help demystify the sewing things that are still super scary (most of them).

That's it.  Thanks for reading.  As a reward, here is an awesome picture of me and my sister (with our loveliest mom) in tops made by Abuela Zoila.


You're dying with jealousy over those polka-dots.




2 comments:

  1. I found your fun blog through the RTW fast page at Goodbye Valentino! I just joined the challenge myself and feeling a little crazy that I did so, but excited! I'm also challenging myself to not buy fabric for at least 6 months. It's going to be a fun year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I know what you mean. I have just sewn my first and only article of clothing. What am I doing?!

      The truth is, that I am kind of excited to be doing it this way. I'm sure that this challenge will be a reminder of how much I really have and the truth is that I KNOW that I can survive a year without buying new clothes. I have more than enough. I buy things more because I want them than because I need them. I can't wait to build on my sewing skills with patience and determination. I agree that it is going to be fun. Good luck!

      Delete