Thursday, January 9, 2014

Breaking Bad.


No spoilers... At least not really. 

So this post isn't going to be about sewing at all.  It's about Breaking Bad, which I just FINALLY finished last night.  I have always been a little behind in my watching and didn't watch season 5.2 until this month.

Breaking Bad has alway been an exceptionally written and acted show (and of course all other parts of the show; directing, cinematography, art design etc. are also brilliant).  But Season 5.2 completely blew me away.  It might be some of the best dramatic writing ever.  Ever.  Shakespeare and beyond type shit. I rented the DVDs from Netflix and sat through episodes 4-8 last night.  It was like watching a 4 plus hour EPIC film.  Everything, EVERYTHING was absolutely perfect.  The acting (oh my god!),  I now understand why Sir Anthony Hopkins felt compelled to write them a letter of praise.  Everyone in that cast showed an incredible amount of talent.  The control on Anna Gunn's face during THE PHONE CALL, shit!  It was amazing.  I have had my problems with Skylar during parts of the show's run but it is undeniable that season 5.2 brought every single character to a whole new level.  They were always amazingly fleshed out and three dimensional but by the time Ozymandias ends they are something far greater, they have becomes archetypes.  Heroes, or something.  Whatever, I'm still a mess.  It's actually quite embarrassing to be writing this poorly about something so masterfully executed.

Thank you all for this experience.  Thank you to AMC for airing this show.  And can I just share my joy at AMC's successful reinvention?  I grew up watching all the classic old movies that they used to air. When Ted Turner bought MGM's film library, and then created his own classics movies channel TCM, it became impossible for AMC to continue airing old movies (they couldn't get the rights to so much).  Instead of becoming a substandard cable channel, like so many other Reality TV-centric channels, they have brought us some of the best original programming currently on TV.  Yay!

Oh!  And finally, Thank you to those of you who didn't try and ruin the show for me.  Who, in fact did an awesome job of keeping it's secrets safe so that my enjoyment would maximized.

Okay, these ramblings have gone on long enough.  I love you Breaking Bad!  Rice and Beans! Kafkaesque!  Church!

Peace, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment