Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I made this.

Oh my gosh yous guys... I've finished my first clothing item!  I call it the Disaster Skirt.  I don't know why I tried to wing it with my first.  I've been buying up patterns for a buck for months and instead of using them I tried to copy a favorite skirt.  I sewed pockets, added a lining, and added an elastic band all kinda without watching any refresher totorials... until it was too late.  There are so many things wrong with this skirt!

I am pretty proud of the blind hem, which I did by machine because hand sewing still terrifies me.  But seriously, I had no idea how to use the blind hem stitch (even though I did see this demo and it helped a lot!).  Still, I felt like I had brand new hands the whole time; turning the fabric around this way and that.  I did mess up the first two times.  Also, the hem is definitely not perfectly straight.  But I will wear the hell out of this skirt.  It's my first.

I had started on this a while back but was too scared to finish the waist and hem.  I didn't want to end 2013 without at least finishing my first piece.  It just felt like a bad omen.

So here it is (picture quality to improve soon, promise).  I was already at work and getting myself all wrinkly when I decided to take a picture, sorry (and it actually doesn't look this bad in person).  Happy New Year!  I am sure that 2014 will bring amazing things!


Disaster Skirt.  My first Me Made.

No comments:

Post a Comment